Friday, July 17, 2009

Isaac Watts: 335 Years Old Today

Isaac Watts has been named The Father of English Hymnody. God has given His church a gift in the life and works of Isaac Watts. He penned a numerous amount of hymns in a time when songs of "human composition" were extremely unpopular. Watts understood sound doxology and his hymns relfect it.

Read the words of Isaac Watts in this hymn based on Romans 3:27, and below I have listed some links for you to dig further into the life and works of Isaac Watts.

No more, my God, I boast no more
Of all the duties I have done;
I quit the hopes I held before,
To trust the merits of Thy Son

Now, for the love I bear His name,
What was my gain I count my loss;
My former pride I call my shame,
And nail my glory to His cross.

Yes, and I must and will esteem
All things but loss for Jesus’ sake;
O may my soul be found in Him,
And of His righteousness partake!

The best obedience of my hands
Dares not appear before Thy throne;
But faith can answer Thy demands,
By pleading what my Lord has done

Here are a couple of Google Books you can read in full:
The Psalms and hymns of Isaac Watts
The Psalms of David

Here is a short video biography:
The Rebel's Guide to Joy Isaac Watts
Here's the always helpful Wikipedia entry and a bio from cyberhymnal with a list of over 500 of his songs, many you can read and hear:
Wikipedia entry - Isaac Watts
Cyberhymnal bio. and songs - Isaac Watts

No comments:

Post a Comment